So it’s time for the musical instalment of my look back at the year.
I’ve broken this down into tracks and albums, with recommendations for each – in no particular order:
- Ellie Goulding – ‘Lights’
- Laura Marling – ‘I Speak Because I Can’
- Kanye West – ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’
- The Courteeners – ‘Falcon’
- Johnny Flynn – ‘Been Listening’
- Red Dead Redemption OST
- Mumford And Sons – ‘Sigh No More’
- Detroit Social Club – ‘Existence’
Lots of great albums this year, with Laura Marling and Ellie Goulding being stand outs for me – along of course with the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack. Kanye West makes a late appearance with what could be, in my opinion, his best album yet ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.’ The Courteeners and Detroit Social Club bring a little UK swagger to proceedings, it’s been a great year for UK music overall.
- Katy B – ‘Katy On A Mission’
- Eminem Feat. Pink – ‘Won’t Back Down’
- Jose Gonzalez – ‘Far Away’
- B.o.B Feat. Hayley Williams – ‘Airplanes’
- Blood Red Shoes – ‘Don’t Ask’
- Ellie Goulding – ‘Starry Eyed’ (Jakwob Remix)
- Taio Cruz – ‘Dynamite’
- Jamie Woon – ‘Night Air’
- Metric – ‘Help, I’m Alive’
- Mumford And Sons – ‘Little Lion Man’
- Fan Death – ‘Phantom Sensation’
- Interpol – ‘Barricade’
- Crystal Castles Feat. Robert Smith – ‘Not In Love’
- Johnny Flynn – ‘Barnacled Warship’
- Chase and Status Feat. Liam Bailey – ‘Blind Faith’
- Detroit Social Club – ‘Kiss The Sun’
Again some great stuff out this year but my track of the year has to be Katy B ‘Katy On A Mission.’ Totally reminds me of my younger days listening to dance music and this track presses all the right buttons for me. I’m a Paramore fan anyway so with Hayley Williams featuring on B.o.B’s ‘Airplanes‘ I was always likely to give that a spin.
Eminem was back on form and his track ‘Won’t Back Down’ with Pink was the highlight of his album for me.
Best remix has to go to Jakwob for his huge mix on Ellie Goulding’s ‘Starry Eyed.’ Incidentally Ellie was the best gig I’ve seen this year – at Shepherd’s Bush Empire she put on a great show.
Taio Cruz wouldn’t normally be my first choice but ‘Dynamite’ is a great tune. I know I’m late on Metric as that was last year but I heard it in 2010 and if you haven’t heard any of their stuff check them out – a vastly underated band.
Fan Death could be one to watch, ‘Phantom Sensation’ is a brilliant little track. A touch of genius from Crystal Cstles to get Robert Smith involved – consequently ‘Not In Love’ comes off as a stunning tune.
‘Blind Faith’ by Chase and Status, with the vocal talents of Liam Bailey, is a haunting track with a great sound and likewise ‘Night Air’ by Jamie Woon delivers something different.
Overall a strong mix of genres and tracks have meant 2010 has been another brilliant year for music.
I’ve put together as many of these tracks as possible on Spotify, so if you have that then head over HERE to have a listen through.
Roll on 2011!
So there we go some tunes for you to check out, as usual throw any recommendations you have my way in the comments.